The National Center for Academic Transformation (NCAT) is pleased to announce that it will offer four free webinars on course redesign in the coming months. During fall 2014, we will incorporate our popular Getting Started on Course Redesign seminar into this webinar series, and we will also offer a number of discipline-based topics.
Getting Started Webinar on September 16, 2014 at 1 pm EST
Getting Started on Course Redesign is a webinar for those of you who are thinking about beginning a large-scale course redesign project. This two-hour-long webinar will provide participants the opportunity to learn about how redesign efforts have begun at both four- and two-year institutions. NCAT Redesign Scholar Michelle Miller from Northern Arizona University will describe how their redesign of Introductory Psychology got started and how they resolved problems that arose. NCAT vice president Carolyn Jarmon will give examples of what has been experienced by two-year institutions in a variety of academic disciplines as they began their redesigns. The agenda includes plenty of time for discussion to help you think about how to get started.
Discipline-based Webinars: October, November and December of 2014
Each hour-long webinar will feature an NCAT Redesign Scholar, the project leader of a highly successful course redesign, describing the redesign project with a particular focus on its distinguishing characteristics. After a presentation, the lead faculty member will be available to answer questions and provide additional specifics about the redesign. The following topics and speakers are planned:
- October 14, 2014 at 1 pm EST: Redesigning The Economic System at Buffalo State College presented by Bill Ganley, featuring the effective use of undergraduate learning assistants in an introductory economics course.
- November 11, 2014 at 1 pm EST: Redesigning Developmental Math
at Manchester Community College (CT) presented by Marcia Jehnings,
featuring the use of modularization in the Emporium Model, a proven
approach to learning developmental mathematics.
- December 9, 2014 at 1 pm EST: Redesigning Fundamentals of Biology at Salisbury University presented by Ron Gutberlet, featuring engagement of students individually and in groups.
Videos of Prior Webinars
Videos of the following prior webinars may be accessed at http://www.theNCAT.org/
- Redesigning General Psychology at Frostburg State University
- Redesigning Computing and Information Literacy at Arizona State University
- Redesigning developmental math at Cleveland State Community College, Chattanooga State Community College and Northwest-Shoals Community College
- Redesigning American History and European History at SUNY Potsdam
- Redesigning Principles of Chemistry at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Redesigning statistics at Niagara County Community College
- Redesigning Developmental Reading at Northeast State Technical Community College
- Getting Started on Course Redesign: examples of how redesign efforts began at both four- and two-year institutions.
- Redesigning General Psychology at the University of New Mexico
- Redesigning College Algebra at the University of Central Florida